[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Errant Heart Discussion Forum • View topic - Anyone have any ideas for a name?

Anyone have any ideas for a name?

An archive for all the forum discussions that took place prior to it becoming dedicated to Errant Heart.

Re: Anyone have any ideas for a name?

Postby nubbycakes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:53 am

Hmm... acronyms sounds good. Suggestion:
CAPEVN - Creators' Association for Professional English Visual Novels AKA "Cape VN."
nubbycakes

Postby Angra Mainyu » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

Angra Mainyu
Site Admin

Postby nubbycakes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 am

Well, isn't that what everyone is striving for as far as this forum is concerned? Professional-level EVNs? Also, being paid to do something isn't the only way to define "professional." Wikipedia with sufficient reference says:

"Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity."

In any case, here's another suggestion for a more universal name: VNCF - Visual Novel Creators' Forum
nubbycakes

Postby Angra Mainyu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 am

You know, I woke up in the middle of the night and it came to me! The perfect acronym: VNovel!

But then I started wondering...that sounds awfully familiar. I better Google it and see if—CRAP! Okay, scratch that one off the list. :cry:
Angra Mainyu
Site Admin

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Jake

Postby nubbycakes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Point taken, Jake. Also, that second paragraph made me laugh because I believe I'm actually one of those "vocal" people and using a VN as a propaganda piece, even: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... tival.html
nubbycakes

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:46 pm

My girlfriend suggests "Visual Novel Vanguard", which can helpfully be shortened to "ViNoVa" (or "VNova") or "VNV". She also suggests this will make you think of nova stars, which are all bright and stuff. It also reminds her of the Italian "vita nuova", or "new life"... but then, she's Italian, so she has an advantage there. :P

She also suggested I put forward "First Draft", which I kind of like since it reminds one that the first draft should in fact be a first draft, not a finished work that just doesn't have pictures yet. ;-)
Jake

Postby nubbycakes » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Why not just call it something simple like "Visual Novel Development Forums" with a tagline that says, "serious business!"
nubbycakes

Postby Kappa Creek » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

~K
Kappa Creek

Postby Angra Mainyu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 am

You know, I was thinking about the name again, the other day. It seems to me that it might be nice to have a name that encompasses the term "Visual Novel"—per the discussion on the other thread, which debates the merits of using terms like OELVN, EVN or just VN. If we're in a position to influence the way people initially use and perceive the term, then I'd like to promote the usage of plain old regular "Visual Novel".

That being said, I think we might do well to have a name that shortens to an acronym, suitable for a mascot character. Perhaps it's an original character. Perhaps it's a name reminiscent of an existing character found in a VN. Perhaps think of it along the lines of the . It'd be nice to have a memorable mascot character to go along with the forum. Something that makes the name and/or the forum itself stick out in peoples minds.

Of course, I...can't exactly think of a lot of anime/manga/VN characters that have the letters "V" and "N" in their names, let alone together.

There is one character that I can think of that meets all of the above requirements. from Tsukihime. Yeah...doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. And what would it end up standing for? I can't even begin to fake a facetious sample. Well, okay, I can...

Neo
Ring

of
Visual
Novel
Quality-
Seeking
Rapscallions
Angra Mainyu
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Old Archive