[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Errant Heart Discussion Forum • View topic - So, whaddya think?

So, whaddya think?

An archive for all the forum discussions that took place prior to it becoming dedicated to Errant Heart.

Re: So, whaddya think?

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Jake

Re: So, whaddya think?

Postby DaFool » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:31 am

Screen Language is just a godsend. Games which used to need custom python expressions and ui.imagemap whatevers a few years ago can now be made entirely in renpy language. Even the interface of Katawa Shoujo which amazed me 2 years ago doesn't bat my eye nowadays. And I remember the FMV sequences in that game were made entirely in Photoshop and After Effects (like you once upon a time had to have "real" animation software like RETAS or Animo (now dead)).

Just last night I was customizing the interface of a game to feel like a Japanese game and I surprised even myself at how slick and very JVN-like the final result was. I'm finally, finally getting the hang of it.

The tools today are so awesome, so one of the reasons I stick around is I feel the need to stay within the scene lest I get left behind! It's a shame for the creators who made 1 or 3 games then moved on, but as for me, I don't have quite much skill in other areas (definitely not illustration or comics/manga or non-narrative games)... I'm in a perfect position to stay with the scene if it indeed continues to grow. Even if you are not so talented in the individual aspects of a VN (writing, art, music, programming), when put together what often happens is a miracle occurs and the whole is much better than the sum of its parts. So that gives me confidence as an amateur... I can put my work side-by-side with the newest download from DLsite (supposedly made by pros) and confidently say that I didn't do too bad.

The only issue for me now is not whether I have decent skill for something... it's whether I have the time and energy to make more content (Heck, at least I'm not aiming for works that go beyond 10 hours since even 10 hours of content is a lot!) That's one... and the second is if the content needs a certain flavor which I am not capable of delivering.
DaFool

Previous

Return to Old Archive